Rosemary Sutcliff said to the Radio Times in 1977: “I like a child or a dog or an adult according to their merits. I am prone to like more dogs on a percentage basis”! Dogs also feature in many of her books. Katherine Langrish, fantasy novelist, wondered if “perhaps Rosemary wrote about dogs as a way of owning them …?”
In Dawn Wind finds Dog, a young war-hound, by moonlight on the ruins of a battlefield:
… it was something alive in the cold echoing emptiness of a dead world. It stood with one paw raised, looking at him, and Owain called, hoarsely, with stiff lips and aching throat: ‘Dog! Hai! Dog!’ … [It] came, slowly and uncertainly… once it stopped altogether; then it finished at the run and next instant was trembling against his legs. He was a young dog; the beautiful creamy hair of his breast-patch was stained and draggled, and his muzzle bloody in the moonlight… ‘Dog, aiee, dog, we are alone then. There’s no one else. We will go together, you and I.’
- Brother Dusty-Feet: Hugh runs away from home to protect Argos.
- The Eagle of the Ninth: Cub is Esca’s tame wolf cub.
- Outcast: Canog is a mistreated mongrel owned by Beric, whose childhood dog was Gelert.
- The Lantern Bearers: Artos’s dog Cabal. (See also Sword at Sunset)
- Warrior Scarlet: Whitethroat; Fand the Beautiful.
- The Bridge-Builders: Math, a Hibernian wolfhound.
- Knight’s Fee: Joyeuse.
- Dawn Wind: Dog, a survivor of Owain’s Last Stand.
- Blood Feud: Brindle is a cattle dog.
- Bonnie Dundee: Caspa.
- The Shining Company: Gelert.
- Sword Song: Bjarni murders a man for kicking Astrid, and Hugin follows him home from Dublin.
- Sword at Sunset. Cabal. (See also The Lantern Bearers)
2 thoughts on ““Dog, aiee, dog” |16 Dogs in the fiction and children’s books of historical novelist Rosemary Sutcliff”
Artos’ hound Cabal also features in “Sword at Sunset”.
Have amended the list. Also now found a more comprehensive list at a Sutlcifff Wiki which is completely new to me. That lists also:
Argos (BDF, TLB)
Bran (O, TSR, TLB, KF)
Cabal* (TLB, SAS)
Fand (WS, SFADQx2)
Garm (TSR, KF, DW)
Gelert (O, TSC)
Kea (WS, FD)
Luath (O, KF, FW)
Luffra (KF, FW)
Margarita (EOTN, TLB, SAS)
Math (TBB, KF)
TQES=The Queen Elizabeth Story. TAH=The Armourer’s House. BDF=Brother Dusty-Feet. S=Simon. EOTN=The Eagle of the Ninth. O=Outcast. TSR=The Shield Ring.TSB=The Silver Branch. LIW=Lady in Waiting. WS=Warrior Scarlet. TROTWH=The Rider of the White Horse. TLB=The Lantern Bearers. TBB=The Bridge-Builders. KF=Knight’s Fee. DW=Dawn Wind. SAS=Sword at Sunset. TF=The Fugitives. ACOOL=A Circlet of Oak Leaves. TCD=The Chief’s Daughter. TFOA=The Flowers of Adonis. SITS=Swallows in the Spring. TWB=The Witch’s Brat. TTOTG=The Truce of the Games (A Crown of Wild Olive). TCB=The Capricorn Bracelet. TC=The Changeling. WLID=We Lived in Drumfyvie. BF=Blood Feud. SHMH=Sun Horse, Moon Horse. ShS=Shifting Sands. FD=Flowering Dagger. SFADQ=Song for a Dark Queen. FW=Frontier Wolf. EE=Eagle’s Egg. BD=Bonnie Dundee. FCT=Flame-Coloured Taffeta. B&S=Blood and Sand. TSC=The Shining Company. SwS=Sword Song.